Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tucker's Birth

So, after I cleaned the entire downstairs I was pooped. The Chunn's were getting into town and wanted us to meet them for dinner but it was 10:00 and I was just too tired. Lindsey (Austin's girlfriend) was coming to stay with us, since the whole family was kind of staying in different houses (with their old friends). So they dropped her off around 11:30 and we ended up staying up till about midnight watching Whale Wars. The Chunn's and mainly Lindsey was convinced that I was going to have Tucker the next day, Saturday.

I was kind of thinking I was having a few contractions when I went to bed, but nothing that hurt or anything like that. So I just figured that I was tired from cleaning.... I woke up around 2:30 feeling the contractions stronger and closer together, but still nothing that hurt. I went and got on the couch because I didn't want to wake David. He needs his sleep and if this really was the real thing I wanted him to sleep as long as possible. So around 3:00 I called my mom and told her I thought I was having contractions, but couldn't really tell, because they didn't hurt. Mom said to time them and then to call her back. I timed them for about 30 minutes and they were about 2-3 minutes apart for about 45 seconds. She said call the Dr. So I did and they said to come on in. Called mom back and she booked a flight and was in the air by 8:00. So after waiting a little while longer, I went and woke up David to tell him, this might be it. It was about 5am. He piddled around and kept laughing saying, there is no way you are in labor, are you kidding me?? He took a shower and I packed my bag. I went up and told Lindsey that we were headed to the hospital and she was in complete shock, so was so excited. I was so thankful she was there because I couldn't get a hold of Sarah, so I'm thankful I didn't have to wake Ty up and take him somewhere.

So we got to the hospital and checked in around 6:00. They checked me and I was at 1 cm. They wanted me to walk around for an hour and then come back at 7. No progress I would go home and if I did make progress, they would keep me. Well, they hour went by and every 2 minutes I was hunched over on a railing, hurting really bad. I can't say it was as bad as I had it with Tyler, but it was still really bad. David found a picture of a doctor on the wall and his name was Peter Pan. Honestly. David kept laughing and sending his pic to everyone he knew. For me it was not so funny at the time, but whatever, it kept him entertained. :) So finally, 7:00 came and they checked me and I was at 4 cm!! Thank goodness. They checked me in, got my iv started and took me to my room. My precious nurse, Kellie, took awesome care of me and even ordered my epi before a girls that was already there.. I was so grateful!! About 10 minutes later he was in there and getting me ready. David actually held me this time, which was strange because before they wouldn't even let him in the room. But he did great and at one point, the nurse did make him sit on the floor because he felt weak, but he didn't pass out.. :)

So once the epidural was in I was good to go. I was so tired cause I only had about 2 1/2 hours of sleep, but I could sleep. Bill and Joyce got there first and then the visitors trickled in. I loved having everyone there. Just hated our family couldn't be there.
So pretty much for the rest of the morning, I just laid there and enjoyed my coke. :) Candace got there and Vicki and Lindsay came by before the wedding, just to check in.
The dr/nurse was trying to wait for my mom to get in town before they broke my water because they figured I would progress pretty quickly once they did that (1-2 hours), so finally around 1:30 they broke my water because mom was suppose to land in Greensboro at 2:00 and that should have been perfect timing. I was at 8 cm when they broke my water. They checked me about 10 minutes later and I was at 10cm ready to push. So they got everything ready and I pushed through one contraction and he was out at 2:07 pm. It was simple and he was perfect. 7lbs 4 oz, 20.9", head completely full of long dark hair, brownish gray eyes
Mom had landed and Shanna was there to pick her up, but they lost her luggage so she was dealing with them trying to find it.
Tucker was absolutely adorable and at first glance looked just like Tyler to me. They took him over to clean him up and were noticing that he was grunting and not really crying. So they wanted to take him to the NICU for 4 hours to be observed. So they let me hold him for just a minute. He was so sweet and did look a little like Tyler but not his nose. And that made him look totally different and also his eyes looked pretty brown unlike ty's. So they took him and we waited there until I got into my room. Mom stopped by and got me something to eat and then David took groups down to the NICU to see him. We finally got into our room around 7:00 and they said they should bring him back to my room by 7:00, but he never came. So we went down to see him and I got to hold him a 2nd time. He looked huge in there compared to all the other tiny babies. When we got back to our room, Sarah had brought Ty up there to see us. He brought me flowers and was so excited to see his baby brother. David took him back to see him. But in the meantime, Barbara, Bekah, Sarah, Jennie, Vicki and Kelly were all in my room having the best time. It was fun to laugh with them and appreciated them all coming to see us. Finally around 9:00 they brought him to me so I could try to feed him. He latched right on and did great eating.


David went back home with Tyler and mom stayed with me. Tucker did really well. Of course you don't get any sleep because the nurses are constantly coming in and out checking everything! So that's pretty annoying, but it was fine. Morning came and I got to take a shower and then me and mom pretty much just hung out all day, having a few visitors here and there.


Finally, Monday morning we got to go home. Mom went home to watch Ty and David came back up to get me. Tyler was so excited when we pulled up, it was absolutely priceless. He was so happy to have his baby brother home!!

0 comments: