Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Busy weekend...

I'm sure the title didn't catch you too off guard, because that is the title of most weekends. But this was a very special busy weekend! It started off pretty low key. David, Ty, and I joined the Garcia's for dinner at Chilli's to celebrate Josh's 17th birthday! We had a good dinner and then headed back home to wait for my papa (dad's dad) and aunt Gail (dad's sister) to arrive from Cincinnati. They were coming in for my papa's brother's 80th surprise birthday party! They got there around 8:00 or so. We visited and just hung out. Around 9 or so, Kelsey came to say goodbye because she was leaving for Lipscomb the next day. It was very hard to say goodbye because we love her dearly, but she is going to have a blast and we are so excited for her new journey. Next, David left to go meet Stephen for ice cream, a senior from last year, he was leaving Saturday also. Then he picked me up around 10:30 and we headed to the Chunn's to say goodbye to Austin. So it was a fun, bittersweet day. These kids are the ones we started out with, and it's a good feeling to see them go off and KNOW they are going to do great in college. We are going to miss them like crazy, but look forward to when we get to see them again!!

So finally we went to bed around 12:30 or 1:00. Got a text around 4:30 a.m. from one of my best friends, Shanna, telling me her water broke and she was at the hospital. I wanted to head up there right when I got it, but I knew that it would probably be a while so I should sleep a little longer. Finally 8:00 rolled around and I couldn't take it any longer. I got up and headed to the hospital. Aunt Gail was gracious enough to keep Ty for me so I could go check on Shanna. I came back for lunch and papa treated us to delicious Donatos Pizza. After lunch, papa and aunt Gail took a nap, so we (David, Ty, and I) headed back to the hospital. I think there was a steady crowd of 10 in the waiting room and then people in and out on top of that. We were definitely the biggest crowd in the room and I think everyone knew it! ;)
So 4:30 p.m. came around and we needed to leave to be able to make it to King in time for the surprise party. We got there with about 15 minutes to spare. It was so fun seeing everyone and many people I didn't know. Papa and all the out of town guest were suppose to be in front, so that's who Vernon would see first. When he opened the door we all sang Happy Birthday and he was in complete shock! It was so fun to see him so surprised. We had a great dinner and a fun time visiting with everyone. After dinner, most people stood up and told stories, read poems and just reminisced about memories they had with Vernon. It was a special time! We had to leave around 7, because Tyler was getting tired of sitting and wasn't being really quiet. So we left and David was so sweet to take Ty home and get him in bed so that I could go back to the hospital. Aunt Gail and Papa stayed in King till about 10:00, laughing and having so much fun with the family.

Back at the hospital, I didn't miss much because Shanna was still in labor but not progressing much, so we thought... The last time they checked her she was at a 3, and that was at 3:00p.m. They kept giving her pitocin and it "didn't" seem to be working that well. So finally the nursed looked at her records at 8:50 and realized that she hadn't been checked since 3! So she checked her and we stood behind the curtain, the next thing we heard was, "Honey, I don't feel your cervix, I think you are at 9 1/2!!!" We started freaking out, but not where she could see us just in case the nurse was wrong. So she got someone else in there to make sure and sure enough, it was time to push!!! We couldn't have been more happy for Shanna because we knew she was tired of sitting in that bed! So the fun began...
We were sitting at the edge of our sits with cameras in hand scared to go to the bathroom in case he walked out as soon as we were gone. Well, 10:00 came, 11:00 came, and we were getting worried. Finally around 11:30 or so, Brian came out and we were all on our feet!!! This was the only time I was so super excited about NOT knowing if it was a boy or girl. It killed me the last 10 months, but this moment was awesome. He came out and gave us the news (in the video)...

It's a BOY!!!! We were all super excited and I definitely was because I can't wait for him and Tyler to be best friends!!
Shanna was totally exhausted. She's all about 110lbs on a 5'8" frame (totally guessing, but that's what I think) and she birthed a 8lb 15oz baby!!!! I was totally impressed!! I doubt at the moment she was too impressed because I doubt she had enough strength to realize what she did, but I bet today she better be feeling pretty proud of herself!! She's my hero!! You go girl! I hate that you had such a hard labor, but YOU DID IT!!! Now, you better know you can do anything!!
So now, we have a new precious little boy, Addison.

I got home around 1:30a.m. and fell into bed. Sunday morning, Aunt Gail and Papa left. I got to spend a little time with them before they left. It was so good to have them here even if it was for a very short while.
Sunday afternoon we got to go back to the hospital and hold Addison. He's absolutely precious!!! Head full of black hair and the sweetest natured little thing! He doesn't care much for bright lights or flashes as you can tell in the pics, he gives you his daddy's little curled up nose. It's adorable.
SO there you have it. It was a busy weekend, but oh so fun!!

3 comments:

Unknown

ya'll did have a very busy and exciting weekend. Tyler is growing so much and is so adorable!! You look great too!!! Thanks so much for your messages lately, it has meant a lot to me to hear from you. Love you lots!
kat

Ashley and Nolan

Addison is very cute...I love all that hair! That's so fun that you took that video...I bet she will love that! :)

Chloe

Hey! I just caught up on your blog...so much good stuff to see!!! I should get on there more often. The kids loved all the videos. the patticake video was their fav...had to watch it several times. You are so good at staying on top of things here at It's a Keen Life! Maybe I should change the name of my blog to "It's a wild and crazy, incredibly disorganized but really fun life!" Ha! :) Talk to ya later-B